Friday, September 18, 2009

Roseola... not so rosy!

So on Friday, Leah woke up from her nap with a 102 fever. Her fever continued to go up and down throughout the night but was pretty manageable with Tylenol. I was hoping it was just a 24 hour thing and she woke up the next day still a little warm but only with a 99 fever and she was playing fine. Since she was acting better, I decided to take her to Tim's cousin's little boy's birthday party at ChuckECheese and see how she managed. Well I knew something was wrong because she didn't want to play, and she fell asleep pretty quickly in my arms so I thought I should get her home.


When I got home, her fever had spiked up to 103 and when Tim got home from work (he was teaching at the college that day), we decided to take her to PrimeCare once her fever hit 104.2 and I started freaking out.

PrimeCare was pretty useless.. they told me it was probably a UTI and to manage it with Tylenol or take her to the Emergency Room if it got worse or she started having seizures. "That'll be $20 copay for our useless information." Thanks. UGH!
Poor baby couldn't eat or sleep. All she wanted to do was lay on the couch or lay on my chest with her sippy full of juice (the only thing i could get her to eat/drink!!)


On Sunday, the fever was still pretty high..102 or so, but the Tylenol was making her throw up. She threw up 3 times on Sunday. It was pretty miserable and there's nothing that makes you feel more useless than having a sick baby that you can't fix. We sat on the couch all day on Sunday (when we weren't in and out of the bathtub) with her blanky. I sat there and stared at my kitchen table collecting dust and the dishes piling up on the sink and thought to myself "there's nothing more important than sitting here holding my baby girl until she feels better."


She went to bed with a 99 fever (I felt a little better about this) and woke up on Monday feeling much better and no fever. We took her to the pediatrician anyway and she said it was probably just a virus or something. As we were leaving, she goes... "oh, there's one more thing it could be.... there's a virus called Roseola where the only symptom is fever and sometimes seizures and it ends with a bright red rash all over and that's when you know it's over, so if she gets a rash, that's what it is!"

And sure enoough... Monday night we were at Walmart and as I put her in the cart, I noticed these bright red bumps appearing all over the side of Leah's face and it was all over her back and neck and chest. We thought, PHEW, that's what it was! It would sure be nice if the rash would appear FIRST so you wouldn't be freaking out the whole time but oh well. She's all better now and we survived our first "real" sickness.




0 comments: