Sunday, December 19, 2010

I Got Crabs For Christmas!

So most of you know I was born and raised in Maryland. I grew up spoiled in a house smack dab on the Bodkin Creek. My bedroom window overlooked the pier, the sailboats, and the lone Great Blue Heron that fished from our dock every morning. This is a picture I took sitting on my bed last summer:
During the summer, if we weren't at the barn, we were on the water. Swimming, boating, and crabbing were just second nature to us. Maryland is famous for their blue crabs. Crab claws, crab cakes, crab dip, cream of crab soup... you name it and you can make it with crab! Sprinkle some Old Bay on it, grab yourself a beer and a mallet and you can make a day out of picking crabs. Finish it off with some Berger cookies and you've got yourself a perfect afternoon.
I've lived in Arizona for almost 7 years now, but no matter where I am, I can close my eyes and take myself back to that place. I can see the fireflies blinking as the sun starts to set. I can feel the humidity and the mosquito bites on my skin. I hear crickets in the thick grass and jet boats buzzing by on the creek. And my mouth waters just thinking about crabcakes and black bottoms.
This year for Christmas, my mom and dad sent us a package that "needed special attention." I told mom if they sent us a hamster I swear..... To my surprise.. it was crabcakes! MARYLAND Crab cakes!
So last night (and tonight) for dinner that's just what we had! Oh man oh man was it delicious! I guess if I can't be home for Christmas, I'll take the next best thing... crabcakes!!!!
So there you have it... best Christmas present ever. I got crabs for Christmas.

1 comments:

Lindsey said...

Yum - you sicko!