Saturday, April 3, 2010

911


Well, today I had to dial 911 for the first time ever. Tim got a new truck, so we were installing a new car seat for Leah in the back and we put her up in the seat just to try it out and fit the straps. Well, when we went to take her back inside she got all upset because she thought she was going for a ride in daddy's new "chuck"... so Tim, being the sucker he is, started up the car to take her for a ride. He ran inside really quick to grab her goldfish and juice and the car door locked behind him! My baby was locked in the car!! The AC was on (luckily! or we would have just broken a window! hey, we have insurance!) and she didn't seem to know what was going on. Trying not to panic, I played peek-a-boo and made silly faces at her through the window while Tim tried to pry the window open and shove a coat hanger down there to pop the lock. (They do this almost every day at work, being a paramedic, but of course he didn't have the proper tools.) Once Leah started to get upset and my fishy faces weren't making her laugh anymore, Tim told me to call 911. This is how the conversation went:

911, what's your emergency?
"My baby is locked in the car. The air conditioner is running but she is starting to get upset. My husband is a paramedic and has been trying to get her out but has been unsuccessful so far. She's 2 years old."
Okay ma'am, please give me your address and we'll send someone right over.
"Thank you so much!!"

Just as I hung up the phone, here comes Tim with Leah in his arms. He was able to maneuver the coat hanger to unlock the door. YAY! She was relieved and asked for some milk and Barney. We called 911 back and told them we were able to get her out, but they had to send someone by to check on her and get my signature anyway.

Needless to say, we are getting a spare key for the truck made tomorrow!!

1 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh my GOSH!! Poor little Leah! It was a total accident but I'm sure you feel so guilty. Glad Tim got her out!