Monday, August 23, 2010

When All Else Fails...

......Put them in water!!

Chase was having a good morning. We went and ran some errands and he was happy and smiling and everything was dandy. We came home, and I put the kids down for their nap. Leah is easy.. she knows the routine and goes in her bed at noon and falls asleep on her own for about 2 hours every day. Chase usually naps during this time too for at least an hour or so. Today I put him down like I do every day, and went to lay down in my bed to read or rest my head for a minute. JUST as I put my head down, I hear him waking up WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH PICK ME UP WAH WAH HOLD ME WAH!!!! He wasn't asleep 10 minutes before all hell broke loose. I don't know what happened but he would NOT stop screaming. I was having flashbacks to a few weeks ago when he was colicky and cried all day long unconsolibly.
I tried EVERYTHING. I tried feeding him, changing him, burping him, rocking him, bouncing on the ball with him, talking to him, you name it and he continued to scream. After about 30 minutes of continous crying, I remembered something someone told me once (I think my mom maybe?) and that was... put a screaming baby in water! DUH! He LOVES his bath every night so why didn't I think of this before!?
With one arm, I ran the water and filled his bath, undressed him and tossed him (okay I didn't TOSS him) in! VOILA! It worked! As soon as his little butt touched the warm water he started smiling and kicking and splashing his legs. He cooed at me and looked at me with those big blue eyes of his (with crocodile tears still) and smiled and the screaming became a distant memory.
I kept him in the bath for about 20 minutes, having to refill the tub with warm water every few minutes because he was kicking all of it out! After his bath, I snuggled him in his towel, gave him a little tummy lotion massage, and watched him slowly fade into sleep! (Because in this house bathtime = bedtime on a normal day!)
Of course it was just as Leah was waking up from her nap, so I didn't get much of a break today, but that's okay because it gave me a chance to spend some much needed 1-on-1 time with my girl.
So the moral of the story for all you moms out there... when all else fails, put them in water!!




0 comments: